ROCKET ENGINE COMPONENTS
A tec manufactures component parts to exact requirements with close tolerances, exotic materials and processes. Liquid fuel & oxidizer engine components are assembled in our clean room and tested in our Cryogenic Flow Facility. Our cryogenic flow test plant is controlled with an ADAQ™ DAS and produces LN2 flow of 1000 psi @ 400 gpm, simulating a rocket firing at temperatures more than 300 degrees below zero. Atec recently tripled the LN2 storage capacity of our flow testing plant to improve throughput and responsiveness. On the heels of our strong performance on the RL10 engine, Atec is now manufacturing critical components on the new AR1 and upgraded RS-25 engines. Atec was awarded NASA Agency-Level Small Business Subcontractor of the Year and SBA Region VI Subcontractor of the Year.
Atec is a proud provider of valves and engine components for RL10, RS-25, & AR1 Programs. Atec specializes in complex machined assemblies, valve housings & turbo machinery components.
Atec recently celebrated our 158th launch with hardware made by Atec. Our quality and metrology advancements, along with numerous manufacturing engineering improvements have aided in boosting performance 40% and maintaining 100% reliability for the RL10. Cost reduction and innovation have dominated space exploration recently. We have joined with our customers to comprehensively address improved affordability through production process improvements. Atec offers world class quality and pricing. Our team is proud of the unique infrastructure we have developed at Atec for the crucial manufacture and test of cryogenic flow components for propulsion and industrial applications.
- Cryogenic LN2 processing and pumping plant with 10,000 gallon storage
- Cryogenic, automated flow bench capable of 400 gpm at 1000 psi for LN2 testing
- Helium leak detection test system
- Class 100 capable clean room for assembly & cleaning
- Contained, permitted Tri-Chlor (TCE) cleaning
- Climate controlled 5-axis CNC machining and CMM Inspection
- High pressure test facility with 20,000 psi and 2 million ft. lb. blast ratings
- 20+ years of data collection, supplier management, and process improvement
- Key personnel (20+) on our staff from program beginnings
- Substantial jigs, tools, guides, notes, markups, interpretations, expectations, lessons learned, and tribal knowledge
We have delivered over 200 sets of completed valves including the valves for the RL10 which embedded the LCROSS Lunar Impactor in the moon. As part of the program’s specialized material control, serialized part control and long-term record retention are required. Suppliers must pass a rigorous approval and management process to provide components for Atec manufacture.
The long awaited flyby of the New Horizons spacecraft by dwarf planet Pluto happened in 2016. Launched in 2006 aboard an Atlas V rocket with Atec manufactured RL10 valves, it traveled for nine years and 3 billion miles to flyby Pluto, and MU69/Ultima Thule in 2019.